Pages

Monday, April 30, 2012

Sauteed Chard with Butter and Parmesan


Beautiful chard!  And it is amazing what a little butter and parmesan can do to it!

Wardah from GNOWFGLINS has offered a challenge to blog about cooking seasonally and this week the focus is chard.  So the following is my very simple recipe for Sauteed Chard with Butter and Parmesan.

If you are new to cooking seasonally, you may also be new to chard.  This recipe is difficult to mess up and the taste will bring chard back into your kitchen again and again.


First, I separate the leaves from the stems.  The stems I save for another recipe.




I boil the leaves in heavily salted water for about 4 minutes until they are tender.




While it is boiling, I grate up a handful of parmesan cheese.



After the chard has wilted and become tender, I drain it and then let it cool enough to chop it.

Then, I melt about 3 tablespoons of butter in a cast iron skillet.  I add the chard and sauté until it is warmed through and I then toss in the parmesan.



This chard recipe is absolutely delicious.  As you can see from the picture, one bunch does not make a huge amount, but this is easily doubled or tripled.





Ingredients:

1 bunch of chard
salt
3 tbsp. butter
handful of grated parmesan

Directions:

Remove stems from chard and reserve for another recipe.
Boil the leaves in a large pot of heavily salted water for about 4 minutes or until wilted and tender.
Drain the leaves and cool, then coarsely chop.
In a medium skillet melt 3 tablespoons of butter.
Add the wilted chard leaves and heat through.
Toss with a handful of parmesan cheese.
Enjoy!

This post is part of GNOWFGLINS Seasonal Recipe Round-Up

No comments:

Post a Comment